Sunday, February 1, 2015

She's Here!!!

Before and after:


 Miss Rebecca Brianne joined our family August 27, 2014 at 11:49AM weighing 8lbs 6.9oz and 20 1/4 inches long. Her due date was August 23, so she kept everyone waiting a little extra.  Grandma Deb was scheduled to take an early afternoon flight home, but luckily she was able to change it to a super early flight on the 28th. 

The labor and delivery story.  Our day started as usual. Get kids up and ready for school, except that Hannah had thrown up the night before, so she stayed home.  So really, just Allison was getting ready for school.  Right before I took Allison (8:30ish) I noticed a little bit of "bloody show" which I thought was strange because I hadn't felt any contractions, but in all of my pregnancies this had been a sure sign that baby was coming. I mentioned it to my mom as I headed out the door to take Allison to school, but about all the info I had was "I think I'll have a baby today, but I haven't had any contractions yet." Super convincing, I know! Don't worry, contractions started soon enough! Shortly after I got back home, I felt what I thought was probably a contraction. A zillion braxton hicks contractions throughout pregnancy always had me second guessing myself though!  I got out my phone and my contraction timing app and waited for another one.  Just a few minutes later there was another.  8:53AM was that first recorded contraction and they kept coming a steady 5-8 minutes apart. So we started the whole hospital prep routine.  Nate came home from work and we called the hospital (Methodist West) to let them know we were coming...and they were all ready for me, so nice! We got to the hospital around 10:30. Check in takes forever when you aren't super comfy! It was a little after 11 by the time the nurse checked to see how dilated I was....only a 5...I was hoping for a little more progress. Dr. Amy McEntaffer came in around 11:20 and chatted.  She kept asking Nate "Is she always this happy during labor?" Apparently I don't look uncomfortable enough! We decided to break my water and see if labor picked up a bit. So a few minutes later my water was broken (say 11:25) and I was preparing myself for things to pick up quickly because that's what has happened with my others. At first nothing really changed and then I sat up and asked for a workout ball to sit on. As more fluid leaked, we'll just say contractions picked up, A LOT! Between the time my water was broken and the "I need to push stage" I think I had only 3 contractions. Convincing the nurse that I needed the Dr. back ASAP was a little more tricky :) By the fourth contraction after my water being broken, there was no stopping baby. Rebecca was crowing while the Dr. was still getting her gloves on.  She told me to stop and wait for the next contraction, which is craziness, but I tried!  Afterwards she told me, "I can't believe you did that without an epidural," referring to stopping in the middle of pushing and I told her, "Well, it HURT!" I'm not sure that I really made it longer than another 30 seconds before Rebecca was born, but I at least gave the Dr. long enough to be mostly ready.  The Dr. told us that is my water ever breaks at home to just plan on having the baby there! Luckily, that hasn't happened yet!

She's perfect!!!!





 Grandma Deb brought the girls up to the hospital right after Allison got home from school.











No comments: